Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My IPOD guilty pleasures...

When I have pured beer on unruly women, started a fight in a church parking lot, had sex in the bathroom during a wake, or even cursed out a member of the clergy, I felt that if anyone didn't care what people thought then that person was me. That was until recently when my friend asked me to bring my IPOD for a party he was having, I guess since we have the same taste in music he was going to use my IPOD as a poor mans DJ if you will. Instead of making a play-list like I knew I should have, I just put it on "shuffle" so it would randomly play any song I had available. For the next hour and some change you would have thought that Kid Capri was choosing the selections, people in attendance were bopping their heads and frowning at me(You know, that hip Hop frown of approval) as artists like Slick Rick, KRS one, A Tribe called quest, and MF DOOM played in the background. I was an absolute hit at the party just because of my fucking IPOD, at one part I actually thought to myself that I might actually have a "my IPOD got me a miscellaneous piece of ass" post for you guys to read next week. As visions of wearing two condoms and entering various women of ill repute infiltrated my dread-locked skull, a few musical selections came on in a row that made the party-goers' frowns of approval into looks of absolute horror. When each selection played I didn't feel the need to change it for a couple of reasons, for one thing I wanted to give the appearance that I stood by my musical tastes and secondly, I figured that the song would be over soon and it would be followed by a Hip Hip classic. Suffice it to say, whether it was an act of god or just the luck of the songs the IPOD shuffled to, here are the songs that played in succession as I cringed, knowing that my chances of getting new ass were becoming slimmer than Kate Moss on a fucking treadmill.

"Time":(Culture Club)I have a theory about music lovers who happen to be in their late 20's to mid thirties that I would like to run by you guys if you don't mind. OK, I know that there are many people who read this blog who have musically diverse tastes, so don't take offense to what I have to say next. That being said, I believe that people around my age group(32) tend to be more musically diverse because we were the first to be exposed to a not so racially diverse MTV. Back when the only black acts you could find on MTV were Michael Jackson and Prince, a black kid like myself was exposed to artists that I wouldn't have otherwise been exposed to. The Culture Club was one of these groups, and even though I have admitted falling asleep during sex and having a relatively small penis, admitting that I dig some of their tunes has to be the bravest thing I have done on this blog. I love this song, especially since it was so poignant concerning a 5 year relationship I was in where we stayed together simply because of the time we put in. When Boy George sings, "Because time won’t give me time/
And time makes lovers feel, like they’ve got something real/ But you and me we know
They’ve got nothing but time/And time won’t give me time/ Won’t give me time
" I never knew androgynous singers from the mid 80's would have such a place in my heart.

"Careless Whisper":(Wham!) Do you know what is more pathetic than having this song in your IPOD?? How about singing this song whenever you are drunk during Karaoke night at your local bar like I do.(I have a sneaking suspicion that me singing this song is the reason why a waitress there possibly thinks I'm gay, because she felt comfortable asking me to feel her breasts because of a recent boob job she had gotten. Shit, if her thinking I'm gay leads to me feeling her tits on a regular basis, maybe I should start coming in the with rainbow t-shirts and shit) But I have to be honest and say that similar to the feelings I have towards my right hand, me and this song had quite a history. When I was in 6th grade I was in love with a classmate named Kristen, possibly because she was nice to me, possibly because she was very pretty, probably because she had a pair of tits that should be illegal in 30 states for a 6th grader to have had at the time. Anyway, I had given her one of those "If you like me check this box" notes, hoping that we could hold hands during recess, we could share our milk, or she would possibly be nice enough to let me feel her up behind the bushes. Instead of just checking "no", or even politely telling me that she wasn't interested, she gave me a disgusted look and said "You have got to be kidding me!!" My heart was broken, and my walk to the bus taking me home felt more like a slug slithering on the ground than actual steps, finally plopping myself on the seat in the back of the bus. I remember, rather vividly to be quite honest, me putting my Walkman on and singing "Careless Whisper" as if I was singing to Kristen. It sounds sad, and somewhat corny I know, but it is an image that is seared in my mind for all eternity.(An interesting postscript to that story: I saw her seven years later at some girls party that I knew at the time. When I took her back the crib, because she suddenly found me attractive at that time, I was looking for something that I hadn't seen in years. I giggled when after a couple of minutes of lovemaking she said, "Dude, why in the fuck are you playing "Careless Whisper"??)

"Jack and Diane":(John Cougar Mellencamp)This is a perfect example of why the argument "you aren't from where they're from so you can't relate" doesn't make any fucking sense when I hear it from rabid Tupac fans or fans of the crunk music that I criticize. Last time I checked I wasn't white, raised poor, or from rural Indiana like John Cougar Mellencamp was but I related to his message just fine. Again, I guess those constant hours in front of the television watching a MTV that wasn't too racially diverse at the time is the reason that I still dig this song. I know I cringed when this song came on and I'm ashamed of myself because of it, but who can't relate to experiencing young love and not wanting to get older and face responsibility??

"Toms Diner":(Suzanne Vega) I feel that this song is in my IPOD for a few reasons to be totally honest with you. If I told you that I enjoy this song because of the many Hip Hop songs that have used this song as a sample, that would be true. If I told you that this song holds dear to my heart because I like the way she lyrically rambles on and on, as if she was free-styling the lyrics, that would be true as well. But to me more precise, and acquiesce to my lecherous sensibilities, a chick once hummed this song during one of the first memorable mouth-hugs I ever received. (If you are a new reader then just go to the archives or ask anyone who regularly reads my daily drivel, yes many of my life experience evolve around sex and violence. Get used to it.)

"Gone":(N'Sync)Yes, N'Sync is a corny group that should be publicly beaten because of the bubble gum sound they subjected our ears to. Yes, Justin DID sell Janet down the river and I swear to you, as long as my name is Humanity F. Critic, that I will throat-chop that motherfucker the same way I viciously strike spineless black republicans on a regular basis because if their coonery. That being said, that "Gone" song is my joint!!! Like Stonehenge, Crop-Circles, white women with ass, or me ruining the black "penis myth", sometimes you have to shrug your shoulders and deal with the circumstances in front of you. OK, I'm embarrassed to admit that this song is in my Ipod, but imagine how I looked when a group of young black guys pulled up beside my car witnessing me singing the words to this song with my eyes closed. I would have preferred them to laugh at me, but they looked at me like I had two heads or something, cocking their head to the side the same way your dog does when it's puzzled.

25 comments:

chele said...

Could you extend the age group to early 40s? I was introduced to all these songs on MTV for the same reasons that you cited.

I hate to admit it but I love Careless Whisper and I owned the album. I couldn't remember the name to Tom's Diner the other day when I was creating my perfect soundtrack ... thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Careless Whisper...

Doesn't get any better than that!!

ChiChi said...

I used to hate the fact that people called me white acting on the few rare occasions that I was caught listening to something other than "black music".

And Imma need you to stop hatin on N'SYNC. I used to be a fan and Gone is the shit...

Though, Justin did fuck over Janet, I would probably still buy another CD from him.

If people can still profess to be a fan of R.Kelly's pissing on children ass, then why can't I like Justin.

Supa said...

Oh, HC - you had me at "Careless Whisper." LOL We flow from the same era - and I fell in love with 80's music, pre hip-hop...

now you've got me wanting to fire up WHAM - "wake me up, before you go-go, 'cause I'm not plannin' on going solo..."


OR "Our house, in the middle of our street.."

ahhh, those were the days!!

Anonymous said...

I was feeling you until the NSYNC part. Yes, you're right about the whole MTV thing in the 80's and stuff, but somewhere along the way you had to really reach out for that NSYNC. I literally have no idea of that song you're talking about.

L. D. said...

Ok...I can one up you on the MTV thing, I am 32, and not only did I grow up as a part of that "first MTV" group you so correctly described, but I have the Wham! Teen Magazines, Janet Jackson key-loop earring, Boy George and Culture Club posters and Tears for Fears casette singles (ha! gotcha!) to back it up! Oh,...that is so sad of me to admit..lol GREAT POST! Keep up the good work!

The Future said...

oh shit, i am still laughing at your really i'm not gay ass. When I saw Time, I laughed, when I saw Careless Whisper, I thought he is so in the closet, then I saw Gone, and I fell out of my fucking chair. Liking anyone of those songs on their own is passable, but having all three play. I think someone needs to throat chop you back into reality. OMG I am still laughing.

Breez said...

I NEVER apologize for my music. I'd like to think that my casual, eclectic mystique is what pulls folks in. It's no secret that I'm quirky.

Roar Savage said...

I'm googling some of the stuff you mentioned right... now.
Funny as always, HC.

Anonymous said...

shet brov. that shetz all good i listen to sum kate bush and my boyz be hating hard. but in reality some white folkz are just down wif da realness and got enough soul to be listened to.
btw h.c. u need to bring your band down to new zealand yo i wanna hear sum of your shet yo.
peace from da ova side of the globe yo

nikki said...

" When I took her back the crib, because she suddenly found me attractive at that time, I was looking for something that I hadn't seen in years. I giggled when after a couple of minutes of lovemaking she said, "Dude, why in the fuck are you playing "Careless Whisper"??)"

oh my goodness, but that brought tears of joy to my eyes. how did you answer her?

Elizabeth said...

Are John Maloncamp and Bon Jovi the same person? They seem like they are.
I lost respect for a friend of mine recently when he told me that he tried to get tickets to see Bon Jovi. All I could say was "REALLY?". I just couldn't fathom. It really confused me. I couldn't even bring myself to dog him, because it was so, just, LAME ASS(and I read Star Trek books). The car got really uncomfortable and we sat in silence for a moment- with Cee-Lo Green playing in the background. and then I said "huh".
I like George Michael though- so- I mean- what can I say?
Did I tell you that I got Sirius Radio and it kicks hella ass? Yes, I said hella-

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

ooh the good songs. I think my Ipod just got jealous of your Ipod. 5 days of songs and you have all the good ones, how did that happen?

Jack and Diana...soo good!
Careless Whispers...soo damn good!
Time....makes much more sense now that we're adults

N Sync? well three outta four ain't bad!

bitchdoctrine said...

all of those songs spit hot fyah!!

"time" -- big chune...

"careless whisper" -- reminds me of that roxbury movie. WHAM rules nonetheless

"jack and diane" -- big chune, plus you get to clap along!

"tom's diner" -- proof that you can recite nonsense over a hot beat and make a hit single

"gone" -- um, nice video? i like the song, but timberfake annoys me

don't feel bad that you have a diverse taste in music. feel sorry for the people that don't...

Ariane Patrice said...

dude i had to go back and re-read the end of your intro just make sure that you said all of these songs played in succession. wow is about all i can say. wow

Chubby Chocolate said...

Almost had me, but you lost me at N'sync. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on your theory. And let me go a step further...yeah MTV had some issues with the content of melinin but remember when they actually played videos? Also, i could stand to watch MTV back then. The songs were corny but good. I have all the songs you mentioned except for Jack and Diane which I love!!
But check this back in the day I was also a BIG Duran Duran, Power Station, Wham! fan. I was also checking for Motley Crue and Poison.
So don't stress I'm totally feeling you!

Anonymous said...

I prefer some selections from George Michael's solo career, but Wham! does bring back thw memories.

Great story.

altaviese said...

Ha, there's nothing wrong with your music selection. You lived through the 80's & early 90's, how could they fault you.

You, like the rest of us is doomed to be that person dancing in the department/convenient stores for the rest of our lives.

Love your blog, btw. It's a daily must read.

Anonymous said...

I can really dig where you are coming from here. I wrote about this back in September of 2001. I have similar, shameful childhood relationships with Gary Numan, David Bowie and Peter Gabriel.

Dig: remember when stereo was a novelty? I got into listening to KROQ because it had such a good stereo sound and I liked the sci-fi in New Wave electronic music.

TiffJ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TiffJ said...

Ohhh, you had me at everything but N'Stync.

Careless Whisper makes me want to wrap my hair in a towel, put on a robe, and pour a drink.

My guilty pleasures were and still are "You Spin Me Right Round" by Dead or Alive
and "One Step Beyond" by Madness.

Jameil said...

i'm gonna agree. i also think being around people in your mtv generation helps, as well as where you grew up. i just wasn't around a lot of people listenin to a tribe called quest or all them other people you reference in your hip hop posts growing up in the suburbs in the south. but then i still don't know half the songs on this post either so ???? i only know careless whispers b/c of tamia. but i would've DIED laughing to see you mouthing this eyes closed, just GONE! DIED!!

x said...

there's no way i would be able to exchange niceties with ex boyfriends. most of them would chase me down the road with an axe if they saw me.

Blah Blah Blah said...

i actually like your list....EVEN nSync...lol