Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A brief rant about a good show and a bad one.

The Good: Being the television lover that I am, I have been quite disappointed with many of the shows that have come out over the past couple of years. But this season, a show has come on that I think is remarkably funny and well written. That show, is "My Name is Earl" starring Jason Lee of "Chasing Amy" and "Dogma" fame. The show is about a lifelong loser, "Earl", who has spent the most of his existence stealing, swindling, and doing whatever he can to get over. That was until the day that he purchased a lottery ticket and won 100,00 dollars. Being that he got hit by a car as he learned that he won the money, he figured that it was a act of Karma and that he should use the money to make amends with everyone that he has wronged by making a list of those people. Each week, he attempts to check off one of the people off his list by finding the person who he wronged, and doing whatever it takes to make it right.(One episode he had to make amends with a woman that he once dated, and in a cowardly attempt faked his death to break up with her. Funny as shit) The writing is outstanding, it is definitely something that I suggest. The show Co-Stars Ethan Suplee, Jamie Pressly, Nadine Velazquex, and that guy from the OfficeMax commercials Eddie Steeples.

The Bad: I know that Comedy Central is probably feeling the effects from their post Chappelle Hangover, so I can see where they might be in a transitional period. But, in my opinion, if you are a television executive you should stay away from Adam Carolla at all cost. A few weeks ago, probably due to my insomnia or waiting to touch myself to late night "Skinamax", I caught "Too Late with Adam Carolla". I have to say, this guy is as funny as a prison rape, which makes me wonder how he got this gig. Usually the audience will work with you and give you "pity laughter" even if you suck, but this miserable bastard is so unfunny that the show is filled with uncomfortable pauses from the audience.(I know that sound, its the same sound I hear after I tell a lover, "That was great, you can go now, I don't believe in reciprocity) I don't know what executives' body part Mr. Carolla had to put his mouth on to get said gig, but I don't think a mouth-hug exists that is so good for him to keep his job.

10 comments:

indigo said...

wow. i don't even have a tv. the only show i ever watch (in my RA's room) is the boondocks. when does it come on and on what channel?

Anonymous said...

"My Name is Earl" is one of the funniest network comedies I've seen in a while. Another GREAT show that people continue to sleep on... "Arrested Development."

Great writing, Jason Bateman is the perfect straight man, and CRAZY guest roles. Dammit people, turn off UPN and start watching the good shit before it gets canceled!!

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen My Name is Earl. I really want to see it though, and now that it has a ringing endorsement...
^_^

Andrea said...

(sigh)
Sad but I live in Japan and have never even heard of these shows. We are still on Columbo and the second season of CSI LV.
(sigh)
I miss prime time.

Sterfish said...

My Name is Earl is funny as hell. That and Everybody Hates Chris are the funniest new shows this season. As for Adam Carolla, he actually has two shows. The other is a reality show called The Adam Carolla Project for TLC. Something tells me that he probably has some incriminating footage of various network execcutives. Why else would MTV, Comedy Central, and TLC keep giving him money?

Timmy said...

I agree with you on the My Name Is Earl thing. It seems like every televison exec in the world has abandoned any attempts to find a good sitcom in favor of searching for the next bullshit reality show premise. It's nice to see a well-written show make it.

Anonymous said...

Arrested Development has to be the most underated comedy on television. I saw a few episodes and had to Netflix the first two seasons-- hilarious. Not a lot of people watch it so they have cut down episode.

While I'm here the top three posse cuts I agree are The Symphony, Scenario, and Buddy. But 100 Miles and Runnin was dope and the Flavah in Ya Ear remix was banging but I guess them guys weren't a posse persay

atuXV said...

Comedy Central is definitely trying new things and its hit or miss. You seen David Spade's new show? His credit card commercials are funnier than that shit. Still, the Daily Show is running strong (America's last stand against tyranny) and the Colbert Report is keeping something like 89% of the Daily Show's audience. The writing is great too. I still miss Bill Mahr, he's on HBO now and I don't have cable. Boehemian like me.

Unknown said...

i wish i had time to watch more tv. comedy central is reaching though

Anonymous said...

The show of my dreams is 'The Boondocks'(sunday 11pm adult swim). 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is pretty good too.