Thursday, March 23, 2006

Scott Van Pelt is my new Homeboy

Anyone out there who watches ESPN with any kind of regularity like any sports addict does, you are pretty much used to the anchors offering their own signature style to their broadcasts. When Stuart Scott started injected Hip Hop references into his sports announcing duties back in the day it was cool, but after a while it seemed like he was straining to stay relevant. But in a time and place where Hip Hop culture gets hijacked from all angles, from respected Newsmen using the term "diss" like it's always been a part of their vernacular, to 50 year old white guys who try to bond with you by inappropriately calling you "dawg" or molesting you with some sort of Parkinson's induced "soul" handshake. So, lets just say that I'm cautious when I hear anyone, Sports announcer or otherwise, clumsily spew out Hip Hop terminology ad naseum.

That being said I am here to give Scott Van Pelt some props, sincerely. I have heard him over the years say things like "He's got powers comparable to Wonderboy"(A Tenacious D reference.), "He dunks the ball like a bald, dorky, white guy...wait a minute..that's me!!", "I'm ready to shoot now, Jack"(Boogie Night's reference), him poking fun at figure skater Johnny Weir by saying "I feel like the prettiest flower in the pond.", and the man has the best Stephen A. Smith imitation in the world. But all of that isn't why I'm giving Mr. Van Pelt love today.

I'm giving him love because during a broadcast where a point guard was on a shooting streak, and I am paraphrasing him here, he said "That guy is on FIIIYAH as M.O.P would say!!!" Huh, did he just reference M.O.P?? I'm sorry, but anyone who references those two grimy cats from Brownsville gets love from me every time..

4 comments:

Inside Man said...

Ever notice that Stuart Scott uses a lot of Chuck D quotes? i.e. "Welcome to the terrordome" .."Here the drummer get wicked".."Shut'em down"..etc.

I think Scott Van Pelt, Kenny Mayne, Stuart Scott, and Dan Patrick are all hilarious.

Amadeo said...

I should have known you would peep the Boogie Nights reference. I die everytime that I hear him say that. It's twice as nice cause he only says it for Dirk Nowitzki. Makes me pray for Mavs highlights.

Anonymous said...

"prettiest flower in the pond"?

i'm tearing up...that is effing HEE-larious....

-A.D.

Unknown said...

Scot Van Pelt is the truth son. The messed up thing is how much more credible he sounds when making a reference like that than Stuart Scott does. He's a nice dude and everything, but Stu Scott embarasses me.