Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Video of the Day.. Lupe Fiasco: "Kick Push"



If any of you out there feel like an outcast, feel like people don't quite understand you, try being a fucking black skateboarder. My black friends think that my four wheeled hobby makes me nuttier than squirrel shit with Humanity F Critic in a padded room being the remedy, my white friends look at my affection for Ollie's and front-side grinds the same way you might look at a teenager who still has a security blanket, and women on the street who are prime candidates for being my future ex-girlfriends think I'm a bum and that the skateboard is my main source of transportation and not a hobby. If you add to that the store owners who don't want me to skate their handrails or even skate on their property, the cop who gives me shit by saying "Don't you think you are too old to be out here pulling tricks?" with me defiantly responding "You need to ask you wife the same question!", and the young kids who make me feel like father time as they yell out "That was a great trick sir!!" after I pull off double kick-flip Ollie's in front of them. "Sir"? Jesus..

That being said I love skating the same way I love Hip Hop, I'm a polygamist of sorts, on some "Big Love" shit. The following video is the first time I have heard a black guy rap about his love for skateboarding, outside of Pharrell's random "I'm skateboard P" ramblings. The song is pretty cool, and I'm not that up on Lupe Fiasco's material yet, but because of this video capturing the black skateboarding experience perfectly, I will definitely be checking out for his stuff in the future.(*Sidenote* I dig the double meaning in the song, the actually "grinding" you do in skateboarding and the "grinding" in life)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only because you know my stance on recent hip hop, you made an absolute good choice, even after I had my reservations of seeing him in that ambiguously gay Kanye West video....

Nice!

Anonymous said...

wow...didnt even know the rest of country new of this dude...but maybe i'm the one out of the loop (no cable, etc, etc)...
Chicago, stand-up!

Anonymous said...

yeah this is a hot song!! sad his lp leaked last weak, but this guy could potentially be a breath of fresh air for hiphop.

silkyjumbo said...

i spent my high school years as the girl (a) sitting at the bottom of the ramp taking pictures, or (b) holding the video camera and looking out for the cops; this song/video actually made me feel warm & fuzzy.

don't worry, I have an ointment for that.

Rocka said...

As a former skateboarder, and current black guy I could def relate to lupe... I was the original skateboard P, its no surprise me and Pharrel come from the same place in VA..

I like u a lot more after reading this... We all kick - push - and coast.

bitchdoctrine said...

i love lupe. it makes it cool to be a skateborder, and retain your black identity.

bitchdoctrine said...

i love lupe. it makes it cool to be a skateborder, and retain your black identity.

Supa said...

I heart Lupe!!!