Friday, April 08, 2005

What, No Love?? A Handful of Underrated MC's

The following post came from a argument that I had with a "Hip Hop" journalist about old school. I said that that Super Lova Cee(of Super Lover Cee and Cassanova Rudd fame) was vastly underrated and that his rhyme style was ahead of his time. You can't front on "Girls I got em' locked" and "Do the James"! This guy quickly dismissed my opinion as irrelevant and remarked that said group was "Garbage". Its funny, but when you have a known history of violence, joking that you will "stab" someone in the "trachea with the pen that you write with for saying that dumb shit" isn't really taken as humorous. Can't anyone take a joke anymore?? Anyway, recently I have written stories about my father, my all time firsts, and other personal ramblings, lets get back to the Hip Hop.(for now)

Ludacris- I think people recognize that this man has talent, but because of his commercial success I feel that the masses sleep on the lyrical skill of this individual. Also, he makes crossover music that I am not particularly mad at, because he doesn't totally sell out and he adds some lyrical content. Down south artists are unfortunately slept on when it comes to lyricism, but no one can deny his wealth of flows, and verbal presence that he brings to each verse. Talk shit if you want, but Luda will go toe to toe with your favorite rapper, and possibly hand him his ass.


Big Boi- Its hard to get lyrical recognition when you are in a rap group, but its even harder when your band-mate is one of the most flamboyant rappers in the past few years. Andre is definitely talented, but people sleep on the lyricism of Big Boy. The guy rides a track effortlessly, and his verbal assault is hard to deny. I have seen him do guest spots on someone's record and Big Boi basically saves the track with his razor sharp flow. Even though he got a chance to shine when him and Andre dropped solo pieces within one complete album, Big boi still was overshadowed by Andre which was damn near criminal. I love Outkast, but I think Bog Boi won't get his due until he goes completely solo.


Pharoahe Monch- OK, people are scratching their head with this pick but let me explain. Everyone knows that he is Hip Hop elite when it comes to lyrics, but I just think that his name isn't mentioned enough when it comes to the best rappers in the game currently. The guy has about a million rhyme flows, and his arsenal would put fear in any rapper out there. Maybe the reason why he isn't cemented in the publics consciousness is because he has been taking his sweet time dropping another album. I don't know, but the name pharoahe Monch should be on the lips of more Hip Hop aficionados.

Malik B- People will want my head on a platter when i say this, but I actually liked malik B better than Black Thought. He mixed raw lyricism with a street sensibility. Whenever he spit rhymes you knew you were going to get Hip Hop at it's rawest form. I know that the group had problems with his behavior, missing shows, and his drug use, but its my honest feeling that The Roots haven't been the same since his departure. It seems that most great artists are damaged or have self destructive issues. Who Knows, but I hope to god that this brother gets his life together and blesses us with some quality Hip Hop that will last the test of time.


MC Ren- Even though many people will say that NWA is the reason for the current demise of Hip Hop, spawning many wannabe tough guys posing on the Mic, but I will give them a break today. With Easy E's persona, Dr. Dre's production, and Ice Cube's lyrics, it was hard for people to truly recognize the talent of MC Wren. On a lot of NWA's tracks he stood toe to toe lyrically with Ice Cube, occasionally outshining his jheri-curled bandmate. The guy had skills, but he is simply a afterthought when people mention NWA, and that is truly a shame.

Posdnuos- I absolutely love De La Soul, they are the only group that I can think of that has maintained their creativity without selling out. When all is said and done, and people look back on Hip Hop, it is a scary thought to think that De La Soul won't get the credit they deserve. The reason I think that Pos is underrated is because him and Trugoy are a perfect mixture, and they don't try to outshine each other. Pos has a aggressive delivery, inventive rhyme style, and the realism in his words is more "gangsta" than any bullshit hardcore rapper out there. The Daisy Age is indeed over, but the lyrics of this individual will last forever.

*By all means, tell me who you think should be on this list of underrated MC's. Feel free, Vent.

25 comments:

Joey said...

Great mf-ing post! A few thoughts:

1) I just wrote last week how much I missed Malik B. (Have you heard that three-disc Roots remix joint? If not, it's worth a listen.) I think he was underrated as an MC (he could write and I liked his flow) and I think that Black Thought, though I love him, can get bland after a while since his flow is almost always the same. The Roots were better when the vocals were varied.

2) I miss the Godfather of Noise, too.

3) Pos is definitely underrated, likely because he's in a group, as you said. I think that overall, too many discussions of the best MCs neglect those who toil in groups. Speaking of which...

4) ...Phonte is underrated. No one talks about him, and the dude is always on point. He's witty; he's insightful; he's funny; he's real.

Luke Cage said...

What up HC? Damn man, I'm sorry I missed a couple of your other posts. That sucks. Anyway, I agree with your pick of Pharaoh Monche. Most definitely underrated. And I heard a freestyle by Luda awhile back and it was definitely on point, so he's got plenty of game too.

A list of others;
Del tha Funkee Homosapien
AZ from the Firm (will never get out of the shadow of Nas and Foxy)
Treach from Naughty By Nature
Large Professor
Genius from the Wu-Tang (the hottest spitter in the group)
and Masta Ace

tristessa said...

It doesn't help that she only has two albums out, but Bahamadia is definately underrated, especially considering the lack of quality female MC's.

I wouldn't put her up there with Bahamadia, but Rah Digga is another overlooked female. And both of them have waited too long in putting out albums.

Anonymous said...

Hey HC! So why do i agree with your post and the comments!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!

Jdid said...

Agree with the Malik B comment 100%. Always loved Pharoah"I'm no slave to the rhythm" Monche and myman Pos.

Adding to the list Masta Ace has been consistent since Me an the Biz but still aint get the props he deserved.

Anonymous said...

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but DAYUMMMM how can anyone say that SUPERLOVA CEE AND CASANOVA were garbage??? Was he Ill or what?? Maybe… just maybe HC, he didn’t know who you were talking about! How can you not love “girls I gott’em locked so similar to a prison/ in my awesome jams that be causin’ me favoritism....”? Hell! By the time you get to “ Girl’s I gottem’ locked! Pump it up...I GOTCHA....!” he’d have his hands in the air and swaying too!!! I mean, that was word play when we didn’t even HAVE word play yet.For real. Krazy, I tell ya!!!!(*shaking my head*)

But let’s see… the other ones that come to mind are YZ and Poor Righteous Teachers ( If anyone remembers them, bless their hearts). I also think that if the Lady of Rage had a chance to drop more of what she had instead of getting caught up in that whole Death Row incident then she would’ve had my vote as well.

Great subject matter! Makes me wonder what you do for a living because it definitely can’t be high stress! If it were you wouldn’t be able to come up with such throught provoking and interesting subjects!But I love it! Keep it coming and stay up!!! (and I mean this all in the most innocent way possible, of course!!!*WINK*!!!)

~ Ms. Blaize

SooHK said...

Like your posting, I have added you in my blog roll. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Where is Talib Kweli? Mos Def? Soulja Slim? What's going on here?

Unknown said...

dope list . i am so glad you pointed out Big Boi, his style has been bitten by mad down south cats and no one has peeped it.

but you forgot:
Masta Ace (like my man said above)
Immortal Technique (always)
MF Doom (formerly Zev Love X)

The G Perspective said...

Man I agree with you completely about Pos, Big Boi, Ren and Luda. I was just thinking the same thing about Ren and Pos I promise.

Anonymous said...

This is a nice post, that I intend to link, because it's good stuff.

You know what, I didn't like Luda because of his commercial success and a lot of the more misognistic stuff he's put out.

But truth is, every time I want to hate on the dude, he does something really creative, smart and witty that I'm like "this dude is hot."

So I do think he's underrated, but it's a good thing because he brings it in a totally different way, than say, any of the NY rappers or even the other ones from the south.

Anonymous said...

In response to a comment:
I don't think Talib or Mos could be on here. No one denis that they're some of the most talented MCs out there, even if neither gets tons of commercial success - in terms of platinum albums - Mos Def is doing his acting thing and Talib basically rules that place that straddles the underground and the mainstream. He won't ever "blow up" because he's too heavy. But he's not "underrated..."

EJ Flavors said...

I'm in agreement with you with your picks- and yeah, I scratched my head on Pharoahe Monch, but after I reread it, I felt what you said. I think I would have added Gift Of Gab from Blackalicious because the man has some serious lyricism, no doubt, but Blackalicious hasn't gotten their just due and I think it's time.

josie said...

you had me up to Pharoahe Monch. with ludacris, you can always expect something different.

Liza Valentino said...

good list. I'm throwin Lauryn Hill on there. She's overlooked as a straight MC.

Anonymous said...

You know, I been telling folks for YEARS that Ren was the most slept on entity. Listening to NWA's EFIL4ZAGGIN just proves how much Ren had major skillz back in the day. Hell I even bought his solo albums cuz I thought he was tight.

Sijeka said...

I say, Common.
People are hating him and i'm like, greatest poet ever.
Also, Buck 65.

MBT4679 said...

I agree wholeheartedly with you on Ludacris. I just had a discussion with a friend about how unbelievably talented he is. He makes a lot of money, but does not get the love he deserves for being a great lyricist. It is unfortunate that Big Boi lives under the shadow of Andre, when he is the better lyricist.

I would say the same about Pfife Dawg from ATCQ, I have always felt he was the better lyricist, but Q-Tip gets all the shine.

Pharoah "Whip A N---a Like A Slave" Monche is yet another one who, because of whatever industry b.s. hasnt gotten his props.

I want to add Rah Digga as an underrated MC. People always claim she has ghostwriters, but I have been next to her, served her a plate of rice and beans while she spit free styles with some of my folks. She is the truth for real.

Bahamdia, the quintessential underrated MC. Nuff Said.

Left Eye- was a very talented lyricist, overshadowed by the pop-ishness of TLC. Life gone too soon, but she is one of my favs.

L-Boogie (not lauryn hill)- people sleep on her MC talents. Her freestyle is NO joke. I dont know why. They heard Killing Me Softly and the fugees solkd like 15 million albums. lol. She sold tons on her album just off the strength of her singing, but as an MC, she is for real and definitely underrated.

MBT4679 said...

in response to the common comment: he is far from underrated. in fact, he is one of the most respect lyricists in the industry. he just doesnt sell a lot of records, but most rappers/MCs/Djs etc will name Common as one of their top 10 MCs of all time

Bemused said...

hmmm...underrated MC's

i'm going to throw a couple of party MC's up, because the party aspect of hiphop is always taken for granted but rarely done right.

Doug E. Fresh
Biz Markie
Fat Man Scoop

also, keeping with the 'in the shadow of' theme -

Money B - Digital Underground
King Tee
Bubba Sparxxx
Kwame - he was Devin tha Dude
D.O.C.

chrome said...

You know I recently saw an old roots video (the tune with "episodes" or "area codes" in the chorus) and watched Malik B spit. I was like "yeah this the nigga man, he's sharper than black".

Ahhh Pharoahe Monch. He's "official". I only listened to Organized Konfusion last year for the first time. where had I been? It's his singing bits that does it for me. dude needs to cut the space btw albums though.

what no ras kass? no mention of the water proof m.c? what you dranking mank? codeine?

1

Clifton said...

I have to say that I agreed with your list but I think the most underated MC right now is none other than Freddie Foxx. The Bumpy Knuckles CD was a classic and hardly got any press at all.

JackMangan said...

Phife from A Tribe Called Quest.

Mahogany Elle said...

Butterfly from Digable Planets. His staccato flow was polished, precise, and well-informed. Plus, it didn't hurt that he was a cutie ;)

Anonymous said...

excellent post man. gotta go with masta ace as a underrated mc. i mean out of all the people who were on "the symphony" hes the only whos still consistantly putting out hot albums