Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I like Laila, but wait a minute...

A few years ago a friend of mine named Sharon wanted to learn how to defend herself, so she came to me saying "You have been in many fights, so I thought I would ask you." I was honored, but we both laughed when I said "But what if I got my ass whipped in those fights, I wouldn't be much help to you." Anyway, we hung out a couple of times a week and I showed her some basics. At first I figured she wanted to learn some fundamental things about fighting, but quickly I realized that she wanted to pursue it further. I pointed her in the direction of a boxing trainer that I knew and she is currently a pretty good kick boxer.

Early on, Sharon would drag me to see some professional female boxing matches, but seriously at first I was torn. It was one thing to have Sharon hit a heavy bag with me, but seeing females hit each other took some time for me to get used to. Eventually I was cool with it, and actually followed the sport whenever I could.

That brings me to Laila Ali. I think that Ms. Ali is beautiful, smart, and a pretty good fighter. I know that I always hate on people on this blog, and I will indeed hate on her in a few moments, but I actually like Laila Ali. Her father should be proud. I saw her fight on the under-card of the Tyson debacle this past weekend where she stopped her opponent in another win. She's undefeated, the champion, and she claims that she is the best female fighter out there. Problem with that is, she isn't.

There is a fighter named Lucia Rijker out of the Netherlands who has a kickboxing record of 36-0, 25 first round knockouts. Her boxing record is 15-0. She is a dangerous fighter, that took real fights with men and she beat their ass like they owed her money. A definite knock-out artist, that has a aggressive Tyson-like style(Tyson, pre-Buster Douglas) who is gifted with both hands.

The problem that I have with Ms. Ali is that Rijker is considered the baddest woman on the planet when it comes to boxing, but when they tried to set up a fight with her she claimed that Rijker was on "Steroids" even though every test Rijker has taken has been negative. Now when Ali is asked about fighting Rijker she claims that she is much bigger than Rijker, not in her weight-class, and that she would kill her. The words of my father ring in my head one time when we were playing craps, he would say, "Scared money don't make none."

Ms. Ali, you seriously can't be considered "the best" if you duck people and make excuses. To be the best you have to beat the best, that is what a champion is all about. If Rijker wants to fight you, and you want to prove like your father that you are the "Greatest of All Time", you should put your money where your mouth is. Your father would have never ducked anybody, think about that for a moment.

18 comments:

BLESSD1 said...

Oh...I'm feeling you on this one, HC. Laila's pops was truly great in that he took on all comers...even if it was predicted they'd whup his ass. He fought the likes of George Foreman AND Joe Frazier, who both handed him quite a few lumps on his head, and bested both of them. Nowadays, most of the fighters who claim they're "the Greatest" duck premier fighters like their the IRS. I like Laila too; she's QUITE the piece of eye-candy, but from what I've seen of Ms. Rijker, Laila better keep bobbin' and weavin' if she wants to remain undefeated.

TheSaga said...

what do u think of Mia St John? her record includes only one loss and she's a damn knock out.

Anonymous said...

I'll admit, I've been in fights (only one of which I have started) and have been a complete terror but mannnn, I have seen Lucia fight and I don't give a dayum.....if I were Laila, I would not play with that chick either! If I were Laila I would just stick to saying that I am the best in the US or something.... because who in the hell wants to walk away as a paraplegic for dealing with that that woman in the ring??? I do not want convenient parking THAT BAD!!! Shooooooot!!!

chrome said...

Saw Lucia on some K1 showcase and she knocks em out the fucking box. All the hot fighters come out the Netherlands for some reason. must be the weed. or small nation mentality.

I think Laila should move out there. Work that booty to a harder, rugged drumbeat.

Bullet Proof Diva said...

never thought about it like that before. Interesting!

CaffeineDiva said...

Damn Laila... If you're scared, say you're scared. It's alright... I would be scared too! Of course I'm not a boxer with a big mouth telling everyone that I'm the best.
Maybe a full time switch to modeling is in order now.

Systa Soul said...

Somebody sounds scurred!

SAM said...

Love this post but I'm loving your wit:

"I know that I always hate on people on this blog, and I will indeed hate on her in a few moments, but I actually like Laila Ali."

Priceless.

ManNMotion said...

Rijker is a bad chic, however, to me, boxing has too many rules. To all these athletes who want to walk around acting tough (especially NBA players), either go fight no rules or, crikey! go hang out with Steve Irwin in Australia and catch some crocs.

Unknown said...

personally, Laila is too damn pretty . she need to retire and model... maybe do some lap dances.

i don't think she can mess with Rijker

Anonymous said...

"even though every test Rijker has taken has been negative."

What is the source for this? If if this was claimed, controlled substance testing in athletics outside of the USA (and even in the US!) is often dubious at best.

If I were Laila, I would agree to a fight with a six-month lead time. I would stipluate that each fighter be tested every 30 days for the full 6 months - 6 tests - to be performed by US Olympic officials in the USA.

If both are negative, let the fight go.

Anonymous said...

I am Jack:

Please re-read my comment. I said BOTH fighters should be tested each month, not just Rijker.

I also did not say that she WAS on steroids, only that a mere statement of "passing a test" means very little, particularly for tests done outside the USA.

For her fights in Vegas, I would trust the tests. The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has an impeccable record as far as testing goes.

For her fights in the Netherlands - which is where she fought most recently - who is the sactioning body that performs the testing? Hmm?

Anonymous said...

Lucia ain't half bad looking herself:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/what_s_the_worst_that_could_happen_/lucia_rijker/happenpre2.jpg

Anonymous said...

I'm actually waiting for Miz Laila to accept Ms. Ann Wolf's challenge. She not only hiding from this Lucia charecter. Ms. Wolf is DYING to make marks on that pretty lil face.....

Dayrell said...

I 100% agree with you Critic. =)

Anonymous said...

rijker would woop laila's ass,everyone knows that,rijker is just too good,she's skilled and well practiced.no match,end of!.

Anonymous said...

all this talk of lucia rijker taking steroids!,what a load of rubbish!,this woman has pracriced martial arts since she was 6 years old,she has practiced fencing,judo,kickboxing and now boxing with her kickbxoing titles she has a record of 56-o wins!!!!,give the woman credit,she deserves it,a true fighter,just amazing.ali's camp are pathetic.end of!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, very interesting!