Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Video of the Day: Ras Kass "Soul on Ice" Remix



Some of my friends still scratch their head in "Why in the fuck would you buy a Clipse album?" amazement when I tell them that I am still a huge Mike Tyson fan. Despite his penchant for nibbling other men's ears, his jail time, the Jekyll and hide personally we have become accustomed to over the years, his lack luster performance in the ring the last decade, even the plethora of cringe-worthy things that have escaped his mandible, I will always root for Mike Tyson. It's not that I love supporting the bad guy or anything like that, but as anybody who saw Mike in his prime will tell you, getting prepared to see a Tyson fight filled you with such a high level of anxiety and excitement, similar to the erection I got when the woman I was about to make love to told me that she used to be a nun.(I guess she didn't appreciate me saying, "Here comes the holy water!!" during my climax) But seriously, even though I saw the pure force that was Tyson at his prime it doesn't matter that he is a shell of his former self, that people that couldn't hold his jockstrap in the late 80's now smack him around the ring like a crack whore, I still get that same level of excitement whenever that crazy Brownsville raised motherfucker is about to fight.

I went into that nonsensical diatribe because Ras Kass is also a dude that I will always root for as well. He's a dope lyricist, one of the best, but he never put out a complete album that I felt I could sink my teeth into. Maybe it was his lassie-fair attitude towards production, maybe it was his woes with whatever label he was with at the time, but each year I anticipate a great album from this guy because I know he has it in him. So yeah, even though he hasn't put out an entire album that was my specific cup of tea, I'm still optimistic in that "You used to be a nun?? Can I fuck you with your habit on?" sort of way.

Favorite lines from this song: "I Drink Listerine, Brush my teeth with amphetamines/ So I can sound fresh and say dope things in between"

2 comments:

BLESSD1 said...

Man...Ras was SO raw with the debut of his first album, and as such, I used to think, "man...dude is gonna be the freshest emcee to ever do it". Nowadays, I just hope that whenever he finishes an album, it'll get released. I'll quote him in saying, "mediocrity is the burden of genius." Good post, m'man. excelsior

West said...

re: "Despite his penchant for nibbling other men's ears..."

Too. damned. funny.