Monday, May 22, 2006

Artist of the week that a old head told me to check out: "Cymande"

Unlike my ejaculatory rituals, when it comes to discovering dope music it seems like it takes me the longest time to catch on. You don't know how embarrassing it is, for someone who fancies themselves as the ultimate "music snob" to have your excitement about a new music discovery thwarted by a simple, "Oh, I started liking them 5 years ago!!" It's fucking sad man, so it is about time I went to a man who I consider to be my "Music Yoda" to keep me up to speed, a man named Saxophone Willy. Who is Saxophone Willy you ask? Willy is a local jazz man about 70 years old who loves to go into detail about the Jazz greats he has played with, along with pictures of him and said greats he carries around with him. Even though I feel dirty like a "John" because he charges me for his music knowledge, I feel less of a whore when I realize that the only price that I am paying is whiskey shots to an old man. So, each week I will feature a group that Saxophone Willy suggests that I check out, and this week the group goes by the name of "Cymande".

When he suggested "Cymande" and said that they were a "Reggae" group, immediately visions of Sean fucking Paul and those Reggaeton "I'm just doing this because I can't make it as a real rapper" danced through my head. But when I picked up some of their material I found out that they are more than a Reggae band, they incorporate Calypso rhythms, Jazz, Funk and Soul, and a kick ass sound funkier than James Brown's sweat-socks. These musicians hailing from Guyana and Jamaica with their crisp early 70's sound will definitely be a part of my heavy rotation from now on. To hear some of their music, go to my myspace page where their music will come on as soon as you get there.(*Props to the first person who can tell me who sampled the Cymande song on my myspace page*)

A Cymande Myspace Page

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

On and on and on is how the beat goes/so sell the british walkers and cut the afros/and dance til the feelin' is gone in your toes/I wear shorts in the summer, timber-lands when it snows....

That was my jawn back in the day...

Cosmorok said...

"Excuse me my brother do you have a dime? Nah but if you want, I can kick a funky rhyme"
Masta Ace - Me And The Biz
This once a week deal sounds like it could be real good, hope you keep it going. I know I'm posting a comment for an old post but Cymande is funky as hell.

Maverick said...

The Fugees sampled Cymande also on the Score...I heard that Cymande recently went at them for not clearing the sample for the song. I think the song that they sampled was "Dove" but don't quote me on that...

Say Yeah said...

Masta Ace did that track. And Def Jeff Also did their song "bra" for "give it here"

Anonymous said...

This is great... more from S.W. please.

Naro% said...

Critic, Glad someone dropped some props on Cymande... This is vintage pimpipin right here!

Track 6 on my web jay joint!!
Peace

Anonymous said...

Ruthless Rap Assassins also used it on 'And It Wasn't A Dream', but since they're a UK rap act, and we all know that anything outside of New York isn't real rap ('Gospel According to DJ JS-1), lets not say any more...

;)