Friday, September 08, 2006

Hip Hop Thought of the Day: If I hear one more Ode to "thugs", I'm going to punch somebody!!

Who would have thought that a soulless channel like B.E.T, one that peddles the worst Hip Hop imaginable and lets the world know how classless Keisha Cole's posse is, would provoke any thought at all. But the other day as I was flipping channels and happened to land on B.E.T, Shareefa's video for the song "I need a Boss" was on. You would think by the title that the song was possibly about a misguided prostitute, frustrated at her inability to get "dates" on her own, longing for the guidance and stability of a pimp. But within moments I realized that this vapid pop song was about something that I Loathe worst than chicks who want to cuddle after sex, and that is a song about "Thugs". You know the routine, songs about guys that the singer/rapper thinks are tough, with an accompanying video where there are a handful of "Just add water thugs" ice grilling the camera continuously. I love MC Lyte but I hate "Roughneck" with a passion, and I have no beef with Destiny's Child but that "Soldier" song makes me want to punch the first guy I see with a Doo Rag on. I guess these songs are so cringeworthy to me because I'd bet my sticky Rosario Dawson picture collection that any dude who calls themselves a "Thug" would probably piss himself in a real confrontation, or if they do muster up the courage to fight you'd find out in no time that their jaw was made of glass.

Matter of fact beware of anyone who classifies themselves as a "rocker" and any girl who claims that she's "sexy" by the way.(Thats for people beside yourself to decide, jackasses!)

6 comments:

Reese The Law Girl said...

Okay, personally I prefer my guys clean cut. But that whole, "I wanna thug," thing is just about girls talking about getting with some hot dudes (seriously, there are some hoootttt guys in the MC Lyte & Destiny's Child videos- even I must admit).

Who the heck wants to participate in Ike and Tina fights with a real thug for the rest of their life? But, it's always nice to oogle model/pretend thugs in a music video.

Anonymous said...

I second that notion... with a vengeance.

I, too, saw the Shareefa video late night on the local Brooklyn public access channel after getting pumped up by watching the new Lupe Fiasco video (I Gotcha).

Anyway, I was talking to my friend on the phone while she was on AIM. She was talking to a guy that she knew from years ago and when she said she had a man he typed, "you should get with a thug ass nigga like me that would treat you like your marents would like.". I told her to type that thugs have no time to be on AIM, that they should be on the corner drinking 40's and shit.

Jdid said...

ah the ode to the thug aka why every chick needs a suposedly real man in her life. give me a frigging break!

whats really sad about those songs is that they seriously have an influence on our youth. the guys think they need to be thugs to get a girl and the girls think that any man who isnt posing to be a thug is soft. and we wonder why more brothers go to jail than to college.

Anonymous said...

The more black men in jail=more of a chance of me getting laid by a fat white chick named Kate.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who thinks "I Need A Boss" is about a girl just wanting a "thug" in her life is a dumbass and is very very shallow. If all you see is the surface meaning of the words, then you really need to get off the pipe and go to school! You might learn something about the underlying and metaphorical meaning of text. I'm tired of ignorant, uneducated jackasses.

The Humanity Critic said...

"Anyone who thinks "I Need A Boss" is about a girl just wanting a "thug" in her life is a dumbass and is very very shallow."

You mean not only the words suggesting as much, as long as the video images of tough looking men edited between Shareefa's puppy faced mug and dancing girls wasn't talking about her wanting a thug?? It seems that one of us, you, is the obvious product of inbreeding.

"If all you see is the surface meaning of the words, then you really need to get off the pipe and go to school! You might learn something about the underlying and metaphorical meaning of text. I'm tired of ignorant, uneducated jackasses."

I really enjoy how you come to this site and smear the fecal matter that is your argument, aboyt not understanding the "hidden meaning", but failed to point it out..lol Come on, we're talking about Shareefa here, I wouldn't be exactly going out on a limb if I assumed that her writing ability wasn't up there with Langston Hughes or Earnest Hemingway. Do you even know what the word metaphor means?? Forget it, anyone who thinks that there's a hidden meaning behind a wack R&B song shouldn't be asked questions about High School level english. Talk about ignorant, uneducated jackasses..LOL